Sulfate Water Quality Standard
Let your voice be heard and urge the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency to develop a reasonable, science-based sulfate standard.
The MPCA’s proposed new water quality standard is a very serious matter for those who live and work on the Iron Range. Our families and communities rely on iron mining and all the related businesses and jobs. We cherish and protect our environment, including wild rice. This standard has the potential to devastate our Iron Range community, costing hundreds of millions of dollars while producing no significant improvement to wild rice in our area. We need our state government to make sure any new standard is based on science and a thorough understanding of the impacts on our communities. We can’t afford to get this wrong.
Rally to Unite Against Sulfate Standard:
All are welcome!
Tuesday, October 24
3 p.m. (followed by a march to the public hearing)
Kline Cuppoletti Park in Virginia
Public hearing begins at 4 p.m. at the Mesabi Range College
Key points you should know
- The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency’s rulemaking should be science-based and inclusive of all available research. To learn more about available research, click here.
- Implementing the proposed rule would result in devastating financial impacts to cities and businesses throughout the state, and would result is major job losses on the Iron Range.
- The proposed rule is not proven to protect wild rice. We shouldn’t be forced to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on wastewater treatment until the MPCA proves that it will improve wild rice in our area.
- The current standard of 10 milligrams per liter (mg/L) was enacted in 1973 and based on observations from the 1940s. It must be eliminated.
- We need to protect wild rice by establishing a water quality standard that is based on modern science that actually protects rice.
Submit a comment online
Submit comments electronically by November 2 (you will need to sign in):
- Click on “view discussion”
- On the next page scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “view topic”
- On the next page click on “sign up”
- Once you sign up you can submit your comment
Attend a public hearing
St. Paul: October 23, 2017 (10AM to 4PM)
Harold E. Stassen Building
600 N. Robert St., St. Paul, MN 55101
Virginia: October 24, 2017 (4PM to 9PM)
Mesabi Range Community College
1001 Chestnut St., Virginia, MN 55792
Find more hearing dates and locations here
Write a letter
- Download a pre-written letter here
- Write your own letter and mail it by November 2 to:
Office of Administrative Hearings
P.O. Box 64620
St. Paul, MN 55164-0620